55g caster sugar, plus extra to finish
180g plain flour
Pottery or glass bowl
Hand Mixer (you can do it by hand, but life is a *bit* short 🙂 )
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Using a glass or pottery bowl (keeps things cooler), beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Work this gently into a soft short dough.
- Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
- Cut into rounds or fingers and lift onto a baking tray.
- You can chill it at this point for 20 minutes – if you don’t have time don’t worry.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack – sprinkle with sugar while still warm.
For the orange and choc chip shortbread – add the zest of an orange with the butter and sugar (always add your main flavouring at the creaming stage it will work through the fat much more effectively) Add 50g of choc chips with the flour.